August has been a busy walking/hiking month for me and my group, Brisbane Walkers.
I hope you will get out and about, to try out some of these wonderful walking tracks, even if you only do a short walk.
- Thyogale Track plus Pitta Circuit, Mt Nebo from Jolly’s Lookout (amazing views!) – a gorgeous flat walk in the bush with fairly heavy canopy, so no sunscreen needed. We spotted a potaroo, munching away and obviously comfortable with human contact.
- Kimberley Forest, Shailer Park – a very short walk for us at just 40 minutes total, flat then gradually climbing a hill. Afterwards, we had a Thai dinner.
- Seven Hills, Morningside – a 2.5km circuit which we did twice, down one side of a hill, then back up. You get a great workout.
- Karawatha Forest, Logan Central – we ended up doing 16kms but it was flat. This forest has come alive again after terrible fires a few years ago.
- White Rock Conservation Area, Redbank Plains – this is a great 7km walk to a huge rock which is special to the local indigenous peoples. You can certainly feel something special about this rock. We then headed off to a great new café close by.
This weekend, we are walking in Moggill Conservation Park to do the 11kms Devils Break Loop and other tracks. This is a challenging walk for the fit only – and I always get a bit lost on this walk because the signage is so poor – as it is on so many walking tracks. Luckily for me, I have a good sense of direction and just take everyone in the right direction. Sooner or later, you come up to a road. It’s all about having an adventure sometimes.
To close out the weekend, we’re doing a 10km walk from Redcliffe to Scarborough, along the gorgeous waterfront. And the weather is forecast to be great! Yahhhh!
I love to walk. I find it very meditative. I was never one who could sit still and say ‘ohmmmm’. I have to be moving. And, thankfully, moving is a fantastic way to stay youthful and engaged in life.
Hope to see you out on a track soon!